Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday Morning


     The sun rises over Owyhee County. Actually it rises over Canyon County, but it gets here eventually. (See the dew?) The Agricultural sector is already hard at work.


     This is an Onion Lifter. Can you believe I missed it? They were just pulling out of their last field as I came along. It's a pretty simple piece of equipment. It drags that bottom bar (as it rotates) through the dirt just beneath the onions, lifting them out of the soil and breaking up any dirt that is attached to their roots. Since it's underground, I suppose pictures of the lifter working wouldn't have been very enlightening.


     Onion harvest must be right around the corner. These workers move back the ends of the rows so that they don't get run over by the harvester.


     And irrigation continues. It's hard (or awkward might be a better word) to get pictures of folks doing their irrigation. They're constantly on the move, so it's difficult to know where they'll be. And then, more often then not, they'll just stare at me until I leave. (like I said, awkward) 
     Still lots going on, no matter how bad I am at catching them on camera. But tomorrow's another day, and who knows what sort of zany (maybe not the best word...) things I'll take pictures of.

2 comments:

  1. This is Al Thound from H. Street. I recall as a teenager (1956) working at Watson's Packing Shed, wheeling bagged onions into the railroad cars in Homedale with a hand truck after they had been sorted and the culls removed. The women doing that were amazing. How is it done now?
    Can you visit such a place with a camera? You are a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mr. Thound! I'll see what I can do for you!

    ReplyDelete