Monday, September 26, 2011

Feeling Fallish

     Still nothing new to report, but I do have some pictures to share. (And maybe a bit of info.)


     It's Autumn now here in most of North America. It's getting cooler, (despite the fact that we're 15 °F hotter than most years) particularly in the evenings. The days are also getting shorter.


     Work continues as usual, as the last two pictures show. For the most part the farmers will spend most of their day working the soil, with irrigating and haying taking up time as necessary. Many harvests continue on as well.


     It's a good time to be a cow. (This lovely cow is a Jersey, one of my favorite types of cattle.) It's not too hot, not too cold, and the grass is still growing pretty well.


     It's also a good time to be a Quail. (California, to be specific.) The coveys are thick with mostly mature broods from this year. There's also lots to eat. Quail are unrivaled gleaners and there are many seeds around. Soon they'll have to be very wary for human hunters as well as their standard predators.


     What says Autumn more than pumpkins? (The answer is: not much.) These are out of a garden. I don't know of any pumpkin fields in this county, there usually are in neighboring counties.
     Still lots more left to do in the year. (The onion harvest, for example.) Even if I don't have much to tell you about, I'll do my best to bring you images of whatever is happening.

2 comments:

  1. That farmer irrigating in the photo reminds me of Fred Demshar. Do you know him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a sharp eye, Mr. Thound. The farmer in this photo is John Demshar. And yes, I do know Fred, but I call him "Papa."

    ReplyDelete