Friday, August 5, 2011

Potpourri

     Today is a potpourri in the figurative sense, a mix of things rather than an aromatic blend. (Although some of today's things are aromatic.)


     This is an evergreen field. Spruces on the left, firs on the right. In most parts of the world, evergreen farms are a rare thing. Here in Owyhee County we have one, as far as I know. I'd like to do a full post on it someday. It has a pleasant piney aroma.


     A dragonfly on a peach leaf. Agriculture, with its large tracts of crops and tendency to bring water to dry places, draws in a lot of little bugs. Dragonflies eat little bugs, especially mosquitoes. We have bunches of them here and they come in every color and shape. I'm not sure what they smell like, probably not very good...


     Here we have a feedlot. It's a place where cattle (or other animal) live and eat. There are several of these in the county. My grandfather says that cattle smell like money...


     As the combines continue to cut the wheat, most of the cover disappears. This means that a lot of rodents that were hiding, now cannot. This brings out the hawks and their kin. This one was trying to act nonchalant. I think he was either hiding his breakfast, or now that I think of it, maybe he couldn't take off because his wings were hitting the stubble. He may have had to hop over to that sprinkler to get a bit of height. Wheat stubble has a pleasant smell, so long as it's clean. As for how the hawk smells, I'm guessing probably a lot like feathers...
     All joking aside, Owyhee County is as pleasantly aromatic (most of the time) as it is picturesque. Depending on which way the wind blows, you can smell all kinds of things. My favorite is the smell of distant rains on the sagebrush.
     There's always more work to be done, which means there's always more posts for me! I'll be back on Monday with another post, have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment