Friday, June 10, 2011

Seed Bandit

     I may have mentioned this before, but there are lots of animals out there that are eager to eat all the food in a field before you or I have the chance.


     Some sort of little critter is digging up and eating corn sprouts. It leaves behind the pink coated shell of the seed, I imagine this is because the pest deterrents on it don't taste very good. This one seed would have grown into several ears of corn meant for seed. Those seeds would have grown into ears of corn meant for eating. So while one little rodent gets a meal, there's much less food for people to eat. Basically, that critter just ate what would have been several bags of popcorn.
     While I'm in the same field, I want to show you all something.


     This is the size of weed that the cultivator is meant to take out. This specific weed is called lambsquarter. When a weed is small it's vulnerable. All the cultivator really has to to is tip it over or bury it and it's gone for good. Anything the cultivator misses gets bigger, and as they get bigger, they get much tougher.
     That's all for today, sorry about he shortness and such. I've been having some connection problems this morning. Next week I'll be telling you what an IPM is. I know you're excited. Try not to let the anticipation ruin your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment