Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Another Picture Gallery

     I take pictures of a lot more than just leaves and bugs, you know. Which is good, because sometimes I forget to take time sensitive photos. (Never mind.) So today I will share with you some more of the beautiful world that surrounds the agriculture in Owyhee County. Enjoy!


     How about we start out with a nice, pretty flower? This wild Lily is some kind of Mariposa Lily. They grow wild up in the hills and are in bloom right now. It's a big flower and the measurement between the two pointy petals is about 4 inches across. I hadn't noticed until just now that something has taken a few nibbles out of it. Possibly a leafcutter bee took some bits to build it's nest.


     As far as I can tell, this is a Leopard Lizard. He's got some bright orange spots on him to show how marvelously fit he is, and is therefor a very fine mate. The spots are the same color of orange as a type of lichen that grows on the sagebrush, so he's still camouflaged. Neat, huh?


     Out in the middle of the sections, as far from the roads as you can get you're struck by just how much area the fields cover. Personally I could listen to the burbling water and soft susura of the breeze in the wheat for hours.


     Have I mentioned how much I like birds? This is one of my favorites. It's a Spotted Sandpiper, and they are quite common here in Owyhee County, though you may never know it. They're very shy but have a lot of character. They bob their tails every few steps and fly with their wings almost strait out by flapping the tips.


     I find this little mushroom to be very charming. Do you? I'm not sure what kind it is, but it grew in my yard. Owyhee County is not very hospitable to fungus as it dries them out. Many, like this one wait for a wet snap (like after watering the yard) to grow, release their spores, then die in a matter of hours. Others live in the shade of larger plants.
     The last picture I will leave you with is another marvelous Owyhee sunset. The conditions out her make for some good ones, and if you read this site often, you know I photograph a lot of them. I enjoy sharing these pictures, and I hope you enjoy looking at them. Perhaps tomorrow the author will be prepared enough to present something a bit more educational...

No comments:

Post a Comment