Friday, April 1, 2011

Peace at Last


     Owyhee County - This stark line in the countryside is where the border between rangeland and farmland meet. More than a century ago in the time of the old west the range wars broke out. Commonly the fodder for old westerns, the conflict between farmer and rancher is well known to society at large. Yet this journalist was shocked to discover that they never formally ended. That is when I decided to make it my personal mission to finally bring peace to the west.
     I decided that in order to maintain the purity of the peace process and avoid politics I must act fast. By picking at random the delegates for each party I could make sure that no organized trickery could occur. I did not have to search long before I came across the first, who would be my delegate to the ranching community.


     He seemed confused at first, as if the conflict had been going on for so long that the concept of peace made no sense. I spoke long and eloquently about the virtues of peace and brotherly love and soon his eyes glazed with admiration for the cause. He insisted that he had much work to do, and hurried off to share with his faction the path of peace.
     Next I had to find a delegate who would make a suitable vessel for the farming faction. This was more difficult, as they tended to armor themselves in tractors, much like caddisfly larvae do with small rocks and sticks. After some time I was able to catch one outside of his shell, he attempted to flee, but I was able to corner him.



     After explaining my quest to him in depth, he was clearly pleased with it. The idea of a peaceful resolution made him laugh aloud at great length. When he recovered from his joyful celebration, he expressed his astonishment at my plan. Clearly the idea of peace was as foreign to his camp as the other. Yet at my entreaties he gave his blessing so that I might carry the agreement further. Then he too went to work.
     And so, that is how a humble journalist with a cause brought an end to more than a hundred years of conflict. Through dialogue we are able to find common ground and can then set about the work of peace. Peace is a lot of work, but it's worth it. So we look forward to the future, now, here in Owyhee County and hopefully, through our work we can create a brighter tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment