Monday, April 4, 2011

A Note.

     As you may have guessed, last Friday's post was an April Fool's prank. Here's the real folks who's image I used.


     This is Dan Landa. A good man. He farms with his family at the base of the foothills of the Owyhee Mountains. Like myself, he lives in the north-west part of the county. The Landa family has a beautiful farm that they took out of some pretty tough ground a couple of generations back. 


     As well as being skilled at raising crops, Dan along with his lovely wife Vicky, have proven themselves equally skilled at raising children into adults who are fine people in their own rights. Mostly due to their proximity to the author, Landa Farms will be subject to the roving camera of this blog often.


     This is Chris Johnstone. His kind patience towards the author's prying camera and overall gabbiness has been much appreciated. He raises cattle and a family just down the road from the author's house. I'm afraid I don't know the horse's name or why she's making a face.
     The Johnstone Family is an old (as far as Owyhee history goes.) family with proud roots that graze their stock over lands ranging from farmland to mountain. They also reside in the north-western part of the county. The cow's and calves in the "Calving" post are Johnstone cattle and the quality of their care is apparent.


     Those are some fat and happy cows.
     Generally I try to keep my focus on the lifestyle rather than the names of Owyhee County. I do this for many reasons: It's a big county and I can only cover a small portion of it. It's incongruous with the message I'm trying to deliver. And privacy is something I respect highly. That said, I felt that these men deserved to have the silliness peeled away so that you could get a glimpse of the kind of people who live out here. I know I feel fortunate to have neighbors like this, and I hope you feel fortunate that these are the kind of people who bring you the food and materials that you use every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment